Sunday, August 30, 2015




                     


 Barbara Streisand's song Memories keeps playing through my mind tonight. I know it's a song about lovers but love is undefinable, it can't be confined in boxes made by human understanding.
 My mind keeps lighting on childhood memories of my brother and my son tonight. It's funny how alike they were in so many ways. They were the "dark ones" a  term they use in the movie Roan Inissh. Misfits with golden hearts. Enigmas.        
       Memories like the corners of my mind, misty water-colored memories. 
Water colors, transparent and not easily contained or controlled, they float across the page in a surreal way. Earthy colors, running across the rough paper as though they'd been cried over and the salty tear drops fell and joined with the paints. 

         Memories like the corners of my mind, misty water-colored memories.
Memories just out of reach but persistently unrelenting. Tears come unbidden, memories of the past intrude on the present. Memories of days gone by, remembrances of a times, places, tastes, touches, sounds and smells from yesterday forever etched on weary minds. 

                           Memories of the way we were
Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind, smiles we gave to one another.

How haunting the old photographs. They take your breath away. Those one dimensional memories of a three dimensional life.

       Can it be that it was all so simple then? Or has time re-written every line? 
Memories, may be beautiful and yet what's too painful to remember we simply choose to forget. So it's the laughter we will remember,whenever we remember...
Was it that simple? Was it really the panacea I thought? I hope time brings healing. Right now memories are painful. 

No comments: